It is time for you to apply for homestead tax exemption. If you bought a home in 2017 (or have just never filed for your homestead tax exemption), the time is now. If you live in your home as of January 1st, 2018 — you can apply for a homestead tax exemption. The home must be your primary residence (i.e., you can’t claim multiple homestead tax exemptions for multiple properties), but as long as you live in the home as of January 1, you can file to receive this break on your property taxes.


The homestead tax exemption lowers the taxable value of your home, depending on where you reside. For example, if you have a house that has a appraisal district tax valuation of $100,000 and you might receive a $15,000 exemption, the property tax you pay would be based on a value of $85,000 ($100,000 minus $15,000), effectively lowering the tax owed to the county each year.

In order to claim the homestead tax exemption, you must go to your county’s website and fill out and submit their Application for Residential Homestead Exemption. Most counties have an online application, but there are still a few that request that you send in a physical form. Be sure to fill out the form completely and read the instructions carefully – there are several items that you are required to furnish in addition to the completed form.

Appraisal District
Appraisal District Phone Number
Collin County
Dallas County
Denton County
Ellis County
Rockwall County
Tarrant County


If you bought a home in the past year, you’ll probably get some mail from companies who will offer to file this paperwork for you and make sure you get your homestead tax exemption. Do not use these companies or send them any money. Filing your homestead tax exemption is free and these companies simply take your forms and drop them off at the appraisal district – something you can do just as easily for the cost that they will charge you. Many of the letters are rather deceiving in the way they’re written, making you think you need to pay their fee in order to receive the exemption. So please, be aware and contact your agent if you need help filing the form, we will be happy to do it!